- CAMPBELTON, a village, chiefly in the parish of Ardersier, county of Inverness, 6 miles (W.) from Nairn; containing, with the garrison of Fort George, 1200 inhabitants, of whom 944 are in the village. This place, which is indebted for its origin to the establishment of the garrison, takes its name from the Campbells, earls of Cawdor, upon whose lands it is built, on the eastern shore of a bay in the Moray Frith. The houses are neat, and there are numerous well-stored shops, containing wares and merchandise of all kinds for the supply of the garrison; a subscription library has been established, and there are several good inns. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the herring-fishery, which is carried on with spirit and success; and not less than sixteen boats, of twelve tons burthen, sail to the fishing-stations of Helmsdale and Burgh-Head, each boat taking, during the season, about 200 barrels, valued at 13 shillings each. The fishermen of Campbelton are also employed in the white-fishery off the coast; the fish usually taken are, haddock, cod, skate, whiting, flounders, and occasionally turbot, halibut, and soles; the produce, after supplying the parish, is sent to Inverness, for which purpose, during the summer, there are lightly-built and fast-sailing vessels. A little coasting trade is also carried on, in which three vessels of 100 tons, belonging to a family in the village, are employed, chiefly in the trade with Sunderland. The post-office has a daily delivery; and facility of communication is afforded by the great road from Inverness to Aberdeen, and the military road from Fort George to Perth, which pass through the village; and by a ferry from Fort George to Chanonry Point, in the county of Ross. A court for the recovery of small debts is held every month; and there is a fair, called the Lammas Market, annually on the 12th of August, for lambs, sheep, milch cows, a few horses, cheese, and various wares, and for the hiring of servants.Fort George was erected soon after the Rebellion in the year 1745, with a view to keep the Highlanders in subjection, and was completed under the superintendence of General Skinner, at a cost of more than £160,000; it is situated on the point of Ardersier, which projects far into the Frith, and commands the entrance of that channel. The buildings, which occupy an area of fifteen acres, form an irregular polygon, defended by six bastions, each named after some distinguished general of the time, and mounting, respectively, 18 twenty-four-pounders, 25 eighteen, 22 twelve, and 4 six-pounders. On three sides, the ramparts rise almost from the sea, which, at any time, may be let into the ditch; and on the land side, the fortress is defended by a broad ditch, a covered way and glacis, two lunettes, and a raveline mounting eight twelve-pounders. The north and south curtains are bomb-proof, and contain each twenty-seven apartments, fifty-two feet in length, and twelve feet wide; the grand magazine, which is also bomb-proof, will hold 2472 barrels of gunpowder, and at the eastern extremity are two smaller magazines, containing ammunition for immediate use. The barracks, which are towards the land point, comprise apartments for a governor, lieutenant-governor, fort-major, chaplain, eight field-officers, 22 captains, 56 subalterns and 2090 non-commissioned officers and privates; there are also a chapel, brewhouse, bakehouse, and an inn, within the walls. The fortress is now garrisoned generally by depôts of foreign regiments, and, at present, contains only about 256 inhabitants.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Nepean Raiders — City Nepean, Ontario, Canada League Central C … Wikipedia
Ardersier — ARDERSIER, a parish, in the county of Inverness; containing, with the village of Campbelton, and the garrison of Fort George, 1475 inhabitants, of whom 716 reside within the limits of the village. This place, called, in ancient documents,… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Pettie, or Petty — PETTIE, or PETTY, a parish, partly in the county of Nairn, but chiefly in the mainland district of the county of Inverness, 6½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Inverness; containing, with the villages of Connage and Stuartown, 1749 inhabitants, of… … A Topographical dictionary of Scotland
Super 8 Campbellton — (Campbellton,Канада) Категория отеля: 3 звездочный отель Адрес: 26 Duke Street, E3N 2K3 Ca … Каталог отелей
Clan Macfie — Crest badge … Wikipedia
Assumption College of Davao — Infobox University name = Assumption College of Davao established = 1958 type = Private Pre school, Tertiary, Secondary, College, Vocational, Roman Catholic location = J.P. Cabaguio Avenue, Davao City, Philippines website=… … Wikipedia
Causapscal — Pour les articles homonymes, voir Causapscal (homonymie). Causapscal Église de Causapscal Administration Pays … Wikipédia en Français
Liste de stades au Canada — Ceci est une liste des stades canadiens classés selon leur endroit géographique. Sommaire 1 Alberta 2 Colombie Britannique 3 Île du Prince Édouard 4 Manitoba … Wikipédia en Français
Ringuette — Fédération internationale Fédération Internationale de Ringuette / International Ringette Federation (IRF) Principale instance Ligue Nationale de Ringuette Canada Autre(s) instance(s) Ringeten SM sarja Finlande et Ringetteförbundet Suède… … Wikipédia en Français
Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur-de-Causapscal — Causapscal Pour les articles homonymes, voir Causapscal (homonymie). Causapscal L église de Causapscal Administration … Wikipédia en Français